There have been a number of bike thefts from secure underground car parks. Please be vigilant and remember –
- When you are entering or leaving your garage, make sure the gate has closed before you carry on. Tailgating is a common way of thieves to slip in behind a car.
- Use a good quality lock to secure your bike to a fixed point inside the garage.
- Some thieves are going equipped with battery angle-grinders, which make quick work of inferior locks.
- Make sure you make a note of the frame number of your bike. That way you might be reunited with your bike if it is recovered by police. From time-to-time, the police also run sessions to mark bikes with Smart Water identifiers that also boost the chance of you getting your bike back.
- Even if you have little hope of getting your possessions back, it is important to report all thefts to the police. The number of incidents reported in Wapping determine the level of resources the police deploy in our area.
- If you see a crime being committed, call 999. Otherwise report thefts to phone number 101 or via the Met website: https://www.met.police.uk/ro/report/ocr/af/how-to-report-a-crime/ or directly to the Police Safer Neighbourhood Team: CEMailbox.StKatharines_Wapping@met.police.uk
Please share with friends, family and local residents
St Katharine & Wapping Safer Neighbourhood Ward Panel - April 2023